Overweight is a disease that affects a large percentage of the population around the world. It can be defined as physical state of the body where fat has been grossly put on up to a point where it affects the person’s health negatively. Overweight increases the risk of people developing cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnoea, certain types of cancer, osteoarthritis and depression. Clearly this is a disease that not only affects the body as many people believe, but also a patient’s mental health as well.
What causes overweight?
The most common cause of overweight is, of course, an excessive amount of food intake without adequate exercise. overweight can also be hereditary as it might be genetically susceptible. There are a few cases where overweight is caused by endocrine disorders, medications or mental disorders that patients suffer from. Many people claim that over weighted people still manage to pick up weight even though they eat less, due to a slow metabolism. Interestingly enough, though, the average overweight person has a greater energy expenditure than their counterparts due to the energy required to support a heavy body mass.
Overweight can be treated and cured in a number of different ways, but the best solution would be to prevent it before it becomes a problem. Here are a few ways in which overweight can be treated in patients:
- Healthy diet – the most logical solution would be to change the diet and the lifestyle completely. Experts note that some of the best ways to lose weight is to cut out any excessive and unnecessary calories. Doctors have also agreed that eating smaller portions on a regular basis throughout the day will speed up the metabolism, but this differs from person to person. Restrict certain foods that you know is bad for you and make healthier choices when deciding what to eat, for example opt for brown bread instead of white bread.
- Regular exercise – couple a healthy eating routine with regular exercise and activity. People who are overweight need at least 150 minutes of exercise per week in order to see results and lose weight.
- Behaviour changes – over weighted people often go for counselling in order to talk about their eating habits and to seek help in order to change it for the better. There are also many support groups in communities all over the world that will assist in overcoming overweight.
- Prescription weight-loss medication – doctors might prescribe certain weight-loss medication in order to combat overweight, but this can be risky. If you are considering taking supplements or pills to overcome overweight, consult a doctor before purchasing any such medication.
- Weight-loss surgery – overweight is often at such an advanced stage that doctors have to opt for weight-loss surgery. This limits the amount of food that you are able to eat comfortably and it limits the absorption of calories. Types of surgeries include gastric bypass surgery, gastric sleeve and LAGB. This will not guarantee that you will lose weight and it depends on your surgeons opinion.
The Health and Care Spot family is always thinking as to how to help you, therefore, in this section you will be able to find easy tips, good behaviors and great products to kill those extra pounds that are killing us in front of a mirror. Leave a comment below if you have any questions as usual.